25 May 2023: The last meeting of the JGHS Parent Council for this school year will be on Wednesday 31 May at 7 pm in the school library.
- Pupil Equity Fund, attendance and supporting pupils in attaining qualifications
- Minutes of last in-person meeting (1 February 2023)
- Review of Parent Council Finance
- Connect Guidance and Checklist
- Catering supplies
- Report from JGHS Trust (PC representatives)
- Parent Council Update
- Headteacher’s Report
- Dates/Format of meetings for 2023/24
More information about the JGHS Trust, and details of the financial guidance provided to Parent Councils can be found below.
About the JGHS Trust
Information about the JGHS Trust
JGHS Trust Annual Report 2021/22
JGHS Trust website
Financial guidance from Connect
Financial guidance provided to Parent Councils by Connect
JGHS PC Money Matter finance health check May 2023
JGHS PC completed finance health checklist May 2023
Finance report for Parent Council meeting 31 May 2023
Get in touch
If you have any questions or issues that you would like to raise at the meeting, please contact the Parent Council by email:
Email the Parent Council
Previous and future meetings
This is the last meeting of the Parent Council for this school year. Details of the previous Parent Council meeting are available on our website:
Parent Council meeting on 1 February 2023
Parent Council meeting on 21 March 2023
The provisional dates for meetings in 2023/24 are below:
- Tuesday 5 September (online)
- Wednesday 11 October (in person)
- Tuesday 28 November (online)
- Wednesday 31 January (in person)
- Tuesday 19 or 26 March (online)
- Wednesday 29 May or 5 June (in person)
Reminder – 23 May 2023: The Scottish Government has recently sent out a consultation paper for parents and carers asking for their opinion about the number of learning hours that should be set in law for young people in Scotland.
Prescribing the minimum annual number of learning hours: consultation
It is proposed that a specific number of hours of education should be provided by all local authorities in schools they have in their area. This will not include breaks, lunch or after school clubs. Currently in most schools, 950 hours of teaching time is provided in primary schools, and 1045 hours of teaching time in secondary schools.
Have your say
The National Parent Forum of Scotland has opened a survey to gather parent views on these proposals.
You can access the NPFS survey. The survey will be open until 26 May 2023 and the results will be shared with Scottish Government.
Education Children and Families Committee
23 May 2023: The Education Children and Families Committee (ECF) committee met on 27 April 2023.
ECF committee papers and webcast
Consultative Committee with Parents
The City of Edinburgh Council Consultative Committee with Parents (CCwP) met on 10 May 2023. The webcast is available to listen again.
CCwP meeting papers
19 May 2023 update: A note that the next meeting of the JGHS Parent Council will be on Wednesday 31 May in the school library.
The agenda will include:
- Presentation on the Pupil Equity Fund) attendance and supporting pupils in attaining qualifications (Tania Peters, Senior Development Officer)
- Discussion on managing PC finances
- Report on Parent Council activities
- Headteacher’s report
If there are any questions or issues you would like to raise at the meeting, please contact the Parent Council by email:
We look forward to seeing you!
11 May 2023: Intercultural Youth Scotland (IYS) is Scotland’s leading charity for Black and People of Colour youth.
They have recently developed some new resources that can be shared with anyone who might benefit – click the links below view flyers with more information:
Find out more about the work of IYS on their website:
Intercultural Youth Scotland
Antiracism actvities at JGHS, including a presentation by Grace Dempsey from IYS were discussed at the Parent Council meeting on 1 February 2023 – you can find more details at the link:
Parent Council meeting on 1 February: addressing antiracism
10 May 2023: The latest update from the National Parent Forum of Scotland is now available, with information on a range of topics including:
- The Independent Review of Qualifications and Assessment Update
- News from Skills Development Scotland
- Your Local Authority NPFS Representative
19 April 2023: The April edition of the Connect newsletter is now out with information and useful links! Topics featured include:
- Independent Review of Qualifications and Assessment – Phase 3 survey submission
- Booking details for Connect’s online Information Sessions for Members
- Connect Members’ Big Survey Report
- Equity and Equality Toolktit – Seeking Views!
- Education News
Read the newsletter
27 March 2023: Connect, the body supporting parent councils and other parent groups in schools, has produced some useful guidance for financial regulation.
Financial guidelines for Parent Councils from Connect
Money Matters Health Check for Parent Groups
Money Matters Guidelines for Parent Groups
The JGHS parent council will be reviewing these documents, and discussing how the guidance will inform our own handling of parent council financial processes, at the our next meeting on 31 May.
More about Connect
23 March 2023: Connect has just published the spring edition of its termly newsletter Backchat.
This edition includes:
- information about Phase 3 of the Independent Review of Qualifications and Assessment
- booking links for Connect’s live online Information Sessions for the summer term
- summary of the work of the new Scottish Parliamentary Cross Party Group on Families Supporting Children’s Learning
- new resources for Connect members
23 March 2023: The SQA has created “Your Exams 2023” – a booklet, which is delivered to schools, colleges and training providers and includes helpful information and rules that your child needs to know before their exams start.
You can find out more on the SQA blog site:
SQA exams 2023 – information for parents and carers
For more information including the exam timetable, prohibited items, exam preparation, SQA apps and tips for on the day visit the SQA Your Exams 2023 website:
Your Exams 2023 website